Super Over Thriller To End The CricHQ Knockout Cup

IMG_5057 (1)Petone-Eastbourne have become the inaugural CricHQ T/20 Knockout Cup champions after a thrilling super over win against Taita. The match had everything from a hat-trick to the closest of runouts but was the perfect way to finish an entertaining competition.

On a stunning Wellington evening at the Basin Reserve BJ Crook won the toss for Petone and had no hesitation in batting first. Some tight bowling and good fielding helped Taita off to a great start. Petone could manage 8 of the first couple of overs before BJ Crook lost patience and skied a ball to mid off. This bought Paul Bascand to the crease. He had much of the strike for the next 6 overs struggling to get the ball to the boundary. After a frustrating 9 off 25 he was bowled by Phil Tunnicliffe. Ryder was still there and was dropped a couple of overs later on the boundary. Taita were bowling really well and IMG_5146after 10 overs Petone could only manage 36. They needed to start uping the rate. Jesse Ryder and Kieran Butler proceeded to do this and took Petone to 113 after 18 overs and looked like they could get away from Taita. Step up Phil Tunnicliffe. After being hit for 4 off his second ball he managed to draw Ryder into a false shot and had him caught at short fine leg for a well made 63 off 44. The batsman crossed in the process so it was up to Kieran Butler to finish things off for Petone. All he could do would be to get a little feather down the leg side and put Tunnicliffe on a hattrick. Butler departed for a very good 41 off 31. Tunnicliffe then produced what can only be described as the perfect hattrick ball firing in a yorker on off stump to knock over Nick Ward and produce a little bit of magic. He completed the last ball of his over with another very close shout. The last over started and Petone tried to take a 2 ball the first ball. The problem was they had hit the ball to Tunnicliffe on the boundary who picked the ball up at long on and proceeded to throw the stumps down from 55 metres. A few singles to end the innings took Petone to 125/7 off their 20 overs.

IMG_5098Taita would have backed themselves to chase the total down while Petone would have been happy with runs on the board in a final. Petone had a great start when Jesse Ryder bowled a maiden to start the innings. Matt Salisbury then only conceded 4 off the second. 8 off Ryder’s next over meant Taita were going along at 4 an over and the pressure was coming on. Sam Dean realised this and proceeded to take 18 off the next over. This included a 6 after the ball was hit for 2 and thrown for 4 over throws. Next over Sam Blanford made a crucial breakthrough getting Dean stumped for 27. This bought Phil Tunnicliffe to the crease and himself and Russell Pepperell continued to turn the strike over for the next few overs. The big over from Dean earlier meant that they didnt have to do too much but they were starting to see the run rate climb. In the process a couple of dropped catches and fielding errors from Petone made you wonder if it would be their night. Kieran Butler had a very close appeal on Phil Tunnicliffe turned down. In the 12th over Pepperell was bowled by BJ Crook for 22 off 34. Taita needed 56 off 48 but with 8 wickets in hand they were favorites. Tunnicliffe then departed in the 16th over for 18 and Taita were 80/3 needing 45 off 30. They needed some boundaries and Mark Houghton gave them a very good over. He took BJ Crook for 16 to get the equation down to 24 off 18. Again Taita were back in the favorites seat. Jesse Ryder then produced an over that only went for 5 and it was 19 off 12. Houghton was batting well though and found 9 off a first 5 balls of the 19th over. Then on the last ball he tried to go big and could only manage to find Paul Bascand oIMG_5174n the boundary. Houghton departed for a very good 27 off 26 but he would have been dissapointed not to be there to bring the side home. That bought a brand new batsman to the crease. Kieran Butler was given the job to bowl the last over. Taita needed 10 to win and 9 to send it to a super over. The first ball was just what Taita needed as a thick edge raced past short third man and down to the boundary for 4.6 was needed from 5. Butler then proceed 4 balls that could only produce singles and it came down to the final ball and Taita needed 2. Butler bowled a toe crushing yorker that was dug out. Taita ran and Butler picked up the ball to throw at the stumps. If he hit Petone would win, he missed by 2 inches and Taita completed the run. A flat feeling fell across the ground as the sides realised the game was tied and a super over would be needed.

After 5 minutes of explaining the process the teams were ready for the super over. Taita would bat first and sent out Phil Tunnicliffe and Sam Dean. Jesse Ryder took the ball for Petone. He produced 6 perfect yorkers that Taita could only manage to hit for singles. The final ball they tried to come back for 2 but Petone effected the run out. Jesse Ryder and Kieran Butler then put the pads on for Petone and headed out to face Phil Tunnicliffe. The first ball was a dot and 7 were needed off 5. Ryder then hit the next ball for 2. Another 2 off the third ball bought the equation down to 3 off 3. Ryder could only manage single off IMG_5236the next ball and it was up to Butler to find 2 off the last 2. It only took one ball as he slashed at a ball outside off and got it through point and down to the boundary for 4 to give Petone their first major trophy in a number of years.

Phil Tunnicliffe took home the man of the match and the tournaments MVP for his performances over the last couple of matches. He took home a cheque for $1000. Petone received the trophy and a cheque for $2500 for winning the tournament. A great game to finish the first year of the knockout format.

The full scorecard can be found –

A highlights package of the match will be available tomorrow while a full gallery of photos can be found on Cricket Wellington’s Facebook page

Phil Tunnicliffes Man of the Match highlights including the hattrick –